Image for post
Image for post
Photo by Gemma Evans on Unsplash

Today I made a Video and What Did I Learn

Video content is on the rise and I have been advocating for some time for libraries to be more active in the video space. At the same time I have also been reading marketing blogs that encourage companies to re-purpose their content marketing posts across a variety of platforms to extend their reach. And then I read a very instructional blog post from Social Media Examiner on How to easily make Videos from blog posts and thought I would give it a try.

The first thing I had to do was choose the blog post that I wanted to make a video from and then script it with only the key points that would have maximum impact. So Learning number 1 is that I use a lot of words to make my points! In a moving slide video I had to be short and sharp so this took some focus. And some time. The blog post I chose was Digital Fluency: The new Librarian Skill set as the Digital Strategy that I discussed in this post is now live and I had a couple of more points to make from the strategic planning process we went through.

The Social Media Examiner gave some great links to free photo sites which I did use for some of my slides and gave them a more professional look and feel. My thanks to all the wonderful photographers who allow their work to be used for free and the platforms that I found the best photos at were Unsplash and Flickr.

Then I used Google Slides to make the slideshow and I made a big mistake. I got carried away by the gorgeous different fonts didn’t I. It looked beautiful in Google Slides but saving it to Microsoft PowerPoint then meant that the fonts did not download correctly and I needed to go back into every slide and change them. Learning number 2: use regular fonts.

So now I had my slideshow and I needed to turn it into an MP4 file. The recommended converter was Online Convert which worked a treat. However once I had the slideshow converted to video I realised that a couple of the slides needed to be changed as they were too busy. Back to the Powerpoint file I went and made the necessary changes and converted the new file. I now had a real video. But there is more. I now needed to have music.

To add an audio file to my MP4 file I needed to download some video editing software. The recommended software in the blog post would not install correctly for me so I downloaded a recommended free software for Windows 10: Movie Creator. This did work well and was really easy for a novice like myself to intuitively navigate my way around the editing requirements to add audio. I had already selected an audio file from Bensound which was free to use as long as I ensured that attribution for the audio was visible on my video. I placed this attribution in the description of the video on YouTube. I chose a Jazz track as that seemed to work well with the timing of the slides.

Learning number 3: it is difficult to choose audio and this did take a bit of time as I listened to all the tracks before going back to a shortlist and then whittling it down to 1.

I already had a YouTube account so I then uploaded the final video content to my ‘Channel’ and it is now live. This was the easiest part of the whole process.

Learning number 4: I could do it. It did take some time and I now have a number of drafts that were my initial ‘fails’ but that was all part of the learning process. Repurposing content extends your reach and also extends the life of your content so is well worth the time. Let me know what you think.

Written by

Librarian, interested in libraries, digital disruption, startups, Australian politics

Get the Medium app

A button that says 'Download on the App Store', and if clicked it will lead you to the iOS App store
A button that says 'Get it on, Google Play', and if clicked it will lead you to the Google Play store